The San Luis Valley Regional Science Fair is an organization that:
- Honors winners from local SanLuisValley school fairs at an annual Regional Science Fair
- Sends finalists from the Regional Science Fair to the Colorado Science and Engineering Fair (CSEF)
- Provides two overall winners at the Regional Science Fair with an all expense paid trip to participate in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF)
- Encourages students to pursue careers in science, technology, mathematics, or engineering
- Provides a forum for developing academic skills, such as conducting an independent scientific investigation, writing a research paper, speaking, preparing an organized display, and becoming familiar with the scientific method.
The San Luis Valley Regional Science Fair supports local school fairs by:
- Providing a forum where local fairs can influence policies, rules, and by-laws of the San Luis Valley Regional Science Fair.
- Providing rules and requirements for participation in all fairs – Regional, State, and International.
- Coordinate mentors.
- Provides judges and critique at local school fairs.
The following represent some of the impacts the San Luis Valley Regional Fair has had on the San Luis Valley:
Awareness, appreciation, and recognition of the importance of science in our society, livelihoods, academic achievement and lifelong success
- An increased awareness of academic competition and the importance of science among Valley educators
- An increased quality of educational activities in all schools in the region
- An increased usage of libraries and the Internet
- An increased exposure to robotics, holography, pathology, space art, moon geology, and the scientific method to the general public.